- 1 Quick Q&A on Corona Virus
- 2 Where the COVID19 Came from?
- 3 How does Corona Virus Spread?
- 4 COVID19 is a Pandemic
- 5 Symptoms of COVID19
- 6 What to do if you have Symptoms?
- 7 Preventive Measures (How to Stay Safe)
- 8 5 Steps to Kick Corona Virus
- 9 Cure of COVID-19
- 10 Myths about COVID19
- 11 Stats about Corona Virus 2019-20
- 12 What should Countries do?
- 13 Italy: The Most Effected Country
COVID-19 name was given by the World Health Organization (WHO) on 11 February, 2020 to an infectious disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus. Basically, it is an acronym stands for Corona Virus Disease of 2019. This is the third zoonotic coronavirus that arises in the 21st century, while the other two were SARS-CoV (Severe Acute Respiratory System) and MERS-CoV (Middle East Respiratory System).
Both SARS and MERS were related to severe respiratory issue and high mortality rate. The first impression of the disease shows that it has lower mortality rate but the increased rate of transmissibility of the COVID-19 urges us to think again. As the disease is more likely to affect a lot of people in a short period of time so the overall death rate is expected to be higher.
So, the World Health Organization (WHO) have declared it a Worldwide Health Emergency because COVID-19 is a major public health concern.
Quick Q&A on Corona Virus
Where the COVID19 Came from?
In Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China the plenty of unidentified pneumonia cases were reported on 31st November, 2019. The samples were taken and they were tested and identified to be a new coronavirus named as SARS-CoV-2.
The common location of all the infected individuals was Huanan South China Seafood Market. After the research it was identified as the main source of this outbreak.
The SARS-CoV-2 genome were found very similar to the Corona Virus found in bats. But it is unlikely for the virus to get transferred from bats to human. The intermediate host is still unknown for the world.
How does Corona Virus Spread?
The disease has increased rate of transmissibility. It transfers from one person to another via respiratory droplets (large particles), by aerosols (fine particles) and by touch.
It can also transfer to mucous membrane by touching through the surfaces carrying the virus. Huanan South China Seafood Market was confirmed to have COVID-19 in the environment.
The reports also say that they have been transferred via stool. One of a patients in Chinese hospital did not have any respiratory symptoms but his stool tested positive for the COVID-19.
It can be transferred through airborne proximity. COVID-19 can be transmitted without coughing where virions are present in the surroundings of the infected patients.
COVID19 is a Pandemic
Before 11 March 2020, WHO declared corona virus as epidemic disease as it can spread to many people and many communities at the same time.
On March 11, 2020, WHO declares it as pandemic disease. That indicates it as a worldwide phenomenon as the spread of COVID-19 was increasing so rapidly and it was expected that the infected cases and the death rate will increase at devastating level if it is not controlled.
Symptoms of COVID19
The symptoms of the COVID-19 are consistent with the atypical pneumonia which are:
- Dry cough
- Shortness of breath (Dyspnea)
Some patients also have:
- Abdominal pain
- Loose bowel motions
Symptoms in Order of Prevalence
As fever is the most common symptom, you can use this no-contact digital thermometer to check your temperature (only if you think you have symptoms).
Typical Vital Signs at Presentation
|Heart Rate||80-100 bpm|
|Mean Arterial Pressure (MAP)||85-100 mmHg|
|Saturation of O2||96% on air (mild cases)|
90-96% (suggestive of pneumonia)
|Temprature||Low grade 37.0-38.0 (Early)|
High grade 38.0-39.9 (Late)
Incubation Period of COVID19
The incubation period according to the latest research is 2-14 days. The average period is 6 days. The patients usually do not understand whether they are infected by the virus.
What to do if you have Symptoms?
Some of the symptoms appear at the very early stage after 2-14 days of exposure:
- Shortness of breath
Call your doctor as soon as possible if you think you are exposed to COVID-19. Call your health care provider for medical advice.
Isolate yourself from other family members (quarantine yourself)
Boost your immunity system by drinking warm water regularly after every two hours, taking vitamin C or vitamin D on daily basis, inhale proper steam, consume fruits and vegetables daily especially Citrus fruits which includes:
If the symptoms get worse then you should hospitalize yourself to protect yourself as well as others.
Preventive Measures (How to Stay Safe)
Some of the things you should do daily that do not cost you anything at all but prevent you from this major outbreak. These will help you in protecting and improving your health and also boost your immune system.
- Proper hand washing: Proper hand washing for 20 seconds with soap frequently and use hand sanitizers that contains more than 60% alcohol.
- Personal perspective equipment: You should wear face masks, disposable gloves and eye protection whenever going outside. Firstly, you should avoid going outside but if you have an emergency, you should take proper precautions before leaving the house.
- Avoid touching face: Avoid touching your face, your nose, mouth and the eyes.
- Do not smoke: The people who smoke have the increased rate of catching the virus so you should avoid smoking to prevent COVID19.
- Adequate sleep: You should sleep more than eight hours a day because according to the research the people who sleeps seven hours a day or less are more likely to catch the Corona Virus. Also, it includes that the people with insomnia show less response to the influenza vaccines.
- Exercise: Do right amount of exercise because those who exercise are not likely to get effected.
- Stress management: Getting extra stress effects negatively on your immune system so it is important for everyone to manage their stress levels. You should avoid stressing over pity things, avoid watching news again and again. Try to calm your nerves as much as you can to avoid high blood pressure.
- Drink plenty of water: Keep yourself hydrated and drink plenty of water.
- Discard tissue papers: If you cough or sneeze it’s better to use your elbow or use a tissue paper instead and discard it immediately.
- Avoid junk food: During the outbreak, avoid ordering foods from the outside. Take properly cooked meals especially of animal origin.
- Fruits and vegetables: Eat more fruits and vegetables especially citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, guavas etc.
- Clothes washing: Wash your clothes properly on an appropriate cycle of 60°C.
- Surface decontamination: You should clean your house properly with 70% ethanol and chlorine disinfectant to deactivate COVID19. Or you can use a UV Sterilizer.
Remember: “Prevention is better than cure!”
While the Crisis lasts, here are is quick guide on how you can make your days useful.
5 Steps to Kick Corona Virus
Cure of COVID-19
There is no proper way of curing the disease and there is not any drug treatment for COVID-19. The main treatment of COVID-19 is supportive care. The ongoing trial is for Lopinavir or Ritonavir, the HIV Anti-Viral Drugs.
Some of the drugs have shown their activity against COVID-19 which are:
- Remdesivir: According to the research, Remdesivir has shown to hinder COVID-19 at the concentration of 1.76 µM. It is proved to be the effective treatment for COVID-19.
- Chloroquine: Chloroquine was tested in a laboratory and it was proved to inhibit effectively the COVID-19 in vitro at the concentration of 6.9 µM.
Most of the patients are recovered from this disease by proper taking care of them. The patients are kept in isolation and taken good care of their diet help them to boost their immune system which helps in fighting against Corona Virus and they can be cured.
Myths about COVID19
There are a lot of false information and myths about COVID-19. Some of the facts are:
- People of any age CAN be infected by the virus. Older people and people with some medical conditions for example asthma, diabetes, heart disease etc. are more likely to catch the disease. They are more vulnerable towards the disease.
- Cold weather and snow CANNOT kill the virus
- They say that hot temperature kills the virus which is not true because the virus CAN be transmitted in hot areas and humid places.
- The Corona Virus CANNOT be transmitted through mosquito bites.
- There is NO evidence that you can get infected by the pets or animals.
- Taking hot baths DOES NOT prevent you from the virus.
- Exposing yourself to the sun or temperature greater than 25°C may prevent the Corona Virus.
- You CAN recover from the Corona Virus. If you catch the virus that doesn’t mean you have to deal with it for the rest of your life or that you are going to die.
- Being able to hold your breath for 10 seconds or more without coughing DOES NOT mean you are free from the virus.
- Ultraviolet lights should NOT be used to sterilize your hands as they can be dangerous and can cause skin allergy.
- Thermal scanners can ONLY detect if a person has fever due to Corona Virus but CANNOT detect the infected people who are not ill or have fever.
- Vaccines against pneumonia DO NOT protect against the new corona. This virus needs its own vaccine.
- Rinsing your nose with saline DO NOT prevent you from the infection of coronavirus.
- Eating garlic DOES NOT have any evidence in curing the COVID19 outbreak.
- Antibiotics DO NOT cure the virus, they only cure bacteria.
Stats about Corona Virus 2019-20
COVID19 has affected a lot of people globally. Some of them are recovered from this outbreak. Some lost their lives while fighting this disease. Some are still fighting for their lives. The cases and death rates are increasing so rapidly per minute which is so devastating for the whole world.
View live & confirmed stats about Corona Virus country wise.
What should Countries do?
WHO calls for countries to detect, test, isolate, trace, and mobilize their citizens, to ensure just a handful of cases. To prevent wider spread of COVID-19 throughout the world.
But it is so heart wrenching that some of the countries are not taking proper precautions and the situation is way worse in some countries.
Almost every country is under lockdown for few weeks to overcome the current situation. In some countries, the situation is so worse to handle like Italy.
So countries should ban entry and exit where the cases of Corona Virus is reported so that the other areas are saved from this deadly pandemic. It is also suggested to lockdown the areas for a limited time and to suspend transport between cities, provinces and countries.
Necessary cares should also be taken, there should be complete ban on public gathering. Public places like hotels, bars, libraries, schools and offices should be closed during the crisis.
Italy: The Most Effected Country
On 9 March 2020 Italy went under lockdown as the number of cases were increasing rapidly.
Within a month, Italy has gone from having only three cases of the coronavirus to having the highest number of cases and deaths, with 13,000+ deaths and at least 110574 of people infected throughout the country. The number of cases rose by 50% on March 8. Italy also faces an above average mortality rate of 44%.
While announcing the nationwide lockdown, Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said “We all must give something up for the good of Italy, there is no more time.”
The nation was experiencing a major outbreak which caused the growth to stagnate and the country is expecting to have major economic repercussions due to the lockdown. While the government has not specified exactly how long the ban will last, it says it will remain in place until April 3.
The virus was spreading in Italy undetected which caused the major destruction and increasing mortality rate throughout the country. “This started unnoticed which means by the time we realized it, there were a lot of transmission chains happening,” Riccardo says, noting that this may be why Italy has seen such a high number of cases.